Food Allergy Awareness Month
By: Kris Ball, RD
Food allergies or food intolerances, affect most everyone at some point. People often have an unpleasant reaction to something they ate and wonder if they have a food allergy. One out of three people either say that they have a food allergy or that they modify the family diet because a family member is suspected of having a food allergy. 5% of children have clinically proven allergic reactions to foods. In teens and adults, food allergies occur in about 4% of the total population.
Symptoms of food allergies include
- Itching or swelling in your mouth
- Vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal cramps and pain
- Hives or eczema
- Tightening of the throat and trouble breathing
- Drop in blood pressure
8 Top Allergenic Foods and their Alternatives
- Gluten (wheat germ, bran, cereals, bulgur, rye, barley, wheat-based pastas, bread, cookies, crackers, etc.)
Swap: Non-GMO corn tortillas, rice noodles, zucchini noodles, granola, flours such as almond, coconut, and tapioca
- Eggs (baked goods, mayo, breads, marshmallow, meringues, meatballs, ice cream, meatballs,)
Swap: mashed banana, applesauce, nut butters
- Dairy– Cows milk, cottage cheese, cheese, pudding, yogurt, sour cream, half and half
Swap: Almond milk, nut milks, dairy free chocolate chips, sorbet, coconut or nut based ice cream
- Soy-soy sauce, soy milk, tofu, soy protein isolate, miso, deli meats, some protein bars
Swap: coconut aminos for soy sauce, protein bars with plant based protein (pea protein)
- Peanuts-Peanut butter, trail mix, peanut oil
Swap: Sun butter, other nut butters (almond, cashew)
- Fish-tuna, salmon, codfish, catfish
Swap: turkey, beef, pork, chicken
- Shellfish-shrimp, crab, lobster, mussels, oysters
Swap-salmon, cod, swordfish, halibut, chicken, beef, pork
- Tree Nuts: Almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, brazil nuts, pine nuts, macadamia nuts
Swap: Sunflower seeds, sunbutter
Food Allergy Friendly Recipe!
Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies
Free of dairy, egg, wheat, soy, peanut, tree nut, fish, shellfish.
Servings: 24 Cookies
Calories: 65 kcal
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 cup wheat-free all-purpose flour mix
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1-1/4 cup gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup “safe” chocolate chips optional
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the flax seed meal and warm water in a small bowl; set aside for 1-2 minutes. In a mixing bowl, combine the flax seed meal and water mixture, oil, brown sugar, applesauce, baking soda and cinnamon. Mix in the flour and xanthan gum until all of the flour is incorporated into the dough. Mix in the oats and chocolate chips.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack or paper towel to cool.
Nutrition Facts – Serving size: 1 cookie, calories: 65, fat calories: 12, total fat: 1.4 grams, saturated fat: 0.6 g, cholesterol: 0 g, sodium: 13 mg, total carbs: 13, fiber: less than 1 g, sugar: 6 g, protein: 1 g